Nothing can frustrate more than a flooded or wet basement. No one wants to spend their vacations mopping up water in leaky and wet basement rather than enjoying time with family members, loved ones or best friends. When homeowners find a wet or flooded basement, they will first think about rain. There is no doubt that wet basements are often the consequences of long and heavy rains.
Leaking basement is a very common thing and it is occurring due to moisture present is from rain or snow. But most of the people get surprised why my basement leaks during the winter season. If this happens to you, don’t panic. Here are a few reasons why your basement is leaking.
- Melting snow: During the winter season, there is only snow outside. You may have thought in your mind that there is no rain outside, then why is your basement leaking. Apart from the rain, melting snow is another the most common reason for leaky basement. When snow melts, it leaves a high quantity of water in its place. This water finds the way to go somewhere and it finds the most common place is your basement.
- Snow on the roof: Snow that builds up on the roof is the other reason of leaky basement. Snow on the roof is not only dangerous for the roof, but also for your basement. When the snow on the roof melts, it will seep into the soil and saturate it. The saturated soil will increase the pressure the basement walls and the water start to go inside through walls.
- Your sump pump is not working properly: If you have a basement in your house, it means you have a sump pump. The sump pump is designed and installed to collect excess water and pull it away from the house. In case, if it fails to work properly, it will create a problem for you. As a result water will accumulate and flood your basement.
- The drain is clogged: Clogged drain can damage your property. These drains can cause water to back up in the water pipes and ultimately overflow in the basement. This problem occurs in your house’s sewer lines. If you have clog free pipes and it drain properly, it will help you to mitigate the chances of leaky basement.
- Cracks in the basement walls and floor: Cracks in the walls and floor are the most common places from where water enters your basement. If you have a leaky or wet basement, first of all look for possible causes like cracks in the walls and floor.
Now, you are familiar with the most common reasons of basement leaks during the winter season. If you are facing this type of problem and want to get rid of it before Christmas, contact Harris Waterproofing in Beamsville.
Water in your basement means mold in your basement. So, it is important to invest in some good waterproofing solutions to avoid any water damages. Waterproofing helps you maintain the pristine condition of your basement and also save you lots of money. It significantly reduces the risk of costly mold remediation, foundation repair, mold cleaning and other services required with a flooded basement. Here are some ways that can solve the problem of flooded basements.
- Determine the Source of the Water in Basement: Before starting with basement waterproofing job, it is essential to determine the primary sources of a wet basement. It may be the outcome of a heavy storm, a damaged application or a burst pipe. If it is something related to the plumbing issues, you should immediately turn off your home’s water supply to reduce further water damage risk.
- Hire an Experienced Wet Basement Contractor: The next thing you need to do is to hire an experienced basement contractor to start with the waterproofing job. If water damage has caused some cracks or holes in the walls, your contractor will get them fixed. Then the technician will apply plaster or concrete sealer to waterproof the basement and safe it from any future damage and leaks. You may also need to waterproof the crawlspace and install a crawl space dehumidifier if it is at the risk of flooding. If there is mold in basement, you should also consider mold remediation and mold cleaning services.
- Invest in Sump Pump Installation: Sump pump installation is the final step of waterproofing your basement. When you fail to ensure the maintenance of the sump pump, it fails to perform properly. A properly working or a new sump pump will ensure that the water stays away from your basement. Meaning, you will not have to face any plumbing storm or flooded basement anymore.
If you have a leaky basement, you can contact our expert basement waterproofing experts in Ontario. We have years of experience and can ensure the pristine condition of your basement.
Your basement is an essential part of your house that carries your house. Moisture or water can damage it very badly if you are not paying attention to it. It not only weaken your foundation and create cracks, in fact, it damages everything that you have stored in your basement. Water and moisture can lead to costly repairs.
Constructing a new house is not easy. You spend your all saving to build your new home. A house with a basement need more attention. A basement with full of moisture cause mold and mildew. A wet basement is a nightmare for homeowners. If you have a leaky basement problem, you need to call a professional. When it comes about to repair a leaky basement, you hear about various common myths. Here are some common basement repair myths debunked.
- Basement waterproofing is expensive: There is no doubt that repairing your leaky basement is not a cheap job. It requires a lot of money, but doesn’t think it as a financial death sentence. Remember always, basement repair does not mean you need to spend your all saving. In fact, it is the best way to protect your foundation from any big damage. If left unchecked, it leads to costly repair.
- You will have to wait until summer to repair it: This is one of the biggest misconceptions. Basement repair can be done at any time during the year. It does not matter that in which condition your basement is, you can hire a professional to repair it at any time of the year.
- Anyone can repair a basement: Basement waterproofing is actually a big deal. No one can perform this job. If you don’t want to waste your time and money, make sure you hire a professional who perform the right job in the first time. Hiring a licensed and insured professional will cost you less and repair your foundation properly.
- Black tar paint is sufficient for waterproofing: You may know or not, but a black tar paint is not the right solution of basement waterproofing. A black tar paint or waterproof paint will not provide the benefits of basement waterproofing.
- Basement waterproofing will not keep the water out: Those people who are not professional in waterproofing, perpetuate this myth. Unprofessional person does not get the job done right the first time. Today’s technology is so advance and professionals always used the latest tools and technology to remove water from the basement. You will feel secure with a real professional, because he offers you a guarantee on his work.
- Insurance will cover the repair charges: Most of the people have doubted that home insurance always covers the cost repair. But the unfortunately the truth is something else. Home insurance policies never cover the basement repair or seepage repair charges.
If you are dealing with a leaky basement and do not want to wait any more, you can get in touch with Harris Waterproofing in Ontario. Our team of experienced professionals will keep your basement dry and clean.