It is common for basements to witness some amount of dampness depending upon the climatic conditions. You need to act, when you see visible signs such as moist flooring, peeling of paint from the walls, water clogging, and even flooding during rains. These may cause more damage to the property, furniture, and other items stored in the basement. Although some form of care is taken during the construction as the time passes, it requires a structural upgrade from time to time.
One of the key reasons behind the basement dampness is an accumulation of water in and around the basement. It often seeps into the walls and causes structural damage. Soil quality and conditions of the region where your house is located also make a lot of difference. But don’t worry! There are some good practices you can follow to keep your basement structurally strong and waterproof.
What is Interior Basement Waterproofing?
Basement waterproofing involves measures to effectively prevent water from penetrating through the basement. Waterproofing requires the application of sealant, certain materials, and the installation of drains. It requires sump pumps to ensure the excess water is taken care of.
Pros of Interior Waterproofing
- Waterproofing helps improve Structure Durability.
- There are fewer maintenance and repair costs in the long run.
- Effectively controls and mitigates many health-related Concerns and risks.
- Improve interiors as well as exteriors of the property and you can also enjoy better property demand & valuation. If you are planning to sell or rent the property then this could be a great advantage.
- It improves durability and strength. Waterproofing the basement means you can enjoy great durability and fewer concerns from the basement. As a result, you can focus on other important activities and enjoy your peace of mind.
Cons of Interior Waterproofing
- Takes time and effort to supervise (if you are already living on the property and have a busy schedule)
- Substandard work and make sure contractors you hire have good expertise and are trustworthy.
- There are various types of waterproofing techniques to choose from. You must choose the right one.
- People often underestimate the waterproofing effects. Waterproofing involves adjusting the foundation slope and fixing the gutter pipes and downspouts. It has to be done properly because if not done right it can cause a lot of problems later on.
- And lastly it added cost and investment.
How to fix interior basement repair or interior waterproofing?
While homeowners do take steps to waterproof their basements during the initial stages of construction but it may not be enough. You need to hire a good contractor who can assess the waterproofing needs depending on the conditions and take necessary measures to fix them. It ensures you don’t face any problems whatsoever. There is a wide range of techniques for both internal as well as external waterproofing. It is building walls, creating water channels, making basement walls structurally sound, installing dehumidifiers, and waterproofing the whole basement using products that work effectively. Sometimes it is as easy as paying attention to smaller details. Make sure the gutters are free of blockage and debris, whether the downspout works effectively and is good 30 to 30 feet away from the foundation. The dirt and water must slope away from the basement foundation.
Also, before you spend thousands of dollars on a waterproofing solution, make sure you consult a good waterproofing contractor who has good knowledge and experience to suggest you the best waterproofing solution for your home. At Harris Waterproofing we do just that. We are one of the best and most trusted contractors in the Niagara region. For more information and advice about waterproofing companies in Niagara, call Harris Waterproofing.