A wet basement is a nightmare for any homeowner. As basements are the most moisture-prone place in the home, it’s a common issue in many homes. Wet basement can snowball into a big problem very quickly and start affecting the building’s foundation. Moisture makes the basement unhygienic with an unpleasant odor, which makes it hazardous to your health too. But what are the causes of the basement moisture? What can you do about it? Don’t worry! Let’s understand that in detail.
Causes Of Moisture In The Basement:
1. Interior Water Leak-
Most of the time, the cause of moisture or leak in the basement is some internal source. It can arise from places such as a shower, sink, washing machine, toilet, or a broken pipe. The simple process will be to look for the area with the moisture and then search around it for the source of the leak.
2. Ground Water/Rain Water/Floods-
Rain, groundwater, or floods can get into your basement easily because of substandard grading. The foundation should be built according to the flow of water; i.e., it should slope away from your house, not towards it. If its flow happens to be in the wrong direction, it will lead to the accumulation of water.
3. Ineffective Drainage/Downspouts-
The purpose of having manholes, gutters, and downspouts is to push the rainwater away from the foundation of the home. But if those systems don’t function appropriately rainwater can easily seep into the foundation of your base and eventually to the basement. We often overlook the consequences of ineffective drainage systems in our home, and this is what causes problems later on.
4. Cracks in the Foundation/Tiles/Roof/Flooring-
Cracking in the foundation or floor tiles is another main reason for the moisture or water leaks in the basement. Try to look for the source to find the exact reason out of these leaks. Seeking professional help will make the repair process quick and lasting. You should not wait for the cracks to widen and add more trouble. Hire a waterproofing contractor to fix the problem.
Why Is Crawl Space Moisture A Serious Issue?
The crawl space underneath your home may be causing the leaks and moisture. Even a little moisture can cause massive damage to the basement and your home. Have the crawl space thoroughly inspected and waterproofed regularly. Leaving them unchecked for a long time make create more issues than just moisture.
• It may become the breeding ground for pests and harmful bacterias.
• It affects the foundation and often leads to leaks and moisture.
• It can invite mold growth.
• It can lead to unhygienic home conditions and add foul smell.
How To Fix Moisture Problems In the Basement?
1. Fix the Interior Water Leak- In case of an interior water leak in the basement, you simply have to find the source of the leak and repair it. You can do it yourself if it’s a minor repair, but if it looks anything more than that, contact an expert.
2. Fix the Missing or Defective Gutters and Downspouts- Consider building gutters if there aren’t any. If there’s already an existing drainage system, clean and maintain it frequently to ensure they are functioning properly.
3. Fixing Cracks in Your Foundation- Once you find the cracks, you need to fix it completely, so the problem doesn’t arise again. Look for the tiles, flooring, pipes, and area around the basement to spot the cracks and fill them fully with cement or sealant to permanently fix the problem.
Click here to know about the best ways to have an effectual basement waterproofing
Contact Harris Waterproofing Today!
If you are searching for a professional to waterproof the basement, contact Harris Waterproofing. We are one of the best and most trusted waterproofing companies in the Hamilton region. We have equipment, tools, and resources to fix your wet basement. We have expertise in fixing every type of leaking basements in Thorold. We understand what our customers expect when they search for a professional. You can count on us! We are here to help!